13 July 2015

Purple Process


I've been feeling like my circle prints were reaching an end, and that I needed to go out with an ambitious final series. I very rarely print in color, and I very rarely make editions. However reduction prints are so uniquely time consuming (and self destructive) that I felt I needed to do an edition.

The woodblocks are 10" in diameter and are printed in 4 colors. I printed the first layer and then cut away each successive layer to reveal the color underneath. The layers cannot be reprinted, as each new series of marks changes the surface. At first I thought of the marks as gathering clouds or a storm front, but the layers of color now remind me of a small galaxy or the city lights at night.


Purple on the press and purple on my feet...my studio shoes matched the very vibrant layer 2.

No comments: