21 May 2014

Treasure hunting






































I loved used bookstores. They are the main source of the paper and fragments I use in my work. I have a few favorite haunts in Cambridge and Boston and I visited one of them today. The Brattle Book Shop has been around since 1825, making it one of the oldest continuing operating bookshops in the whole country.

I bought a 1927 edition of Birds of Massachusetts and the New England States Vol. II and was startled to find all sorts of ephemera shoved in between the pages and covers. There were several scholarly journals and pamphlets, newspaper clippings, postcards, correspondence from 1930-1948, photographs of specimens and eggs, and a receipt for a passenger pigeon (!)

It was quite a find.

1 comment:

smm said...

I dream of finds like those tucked into old books I purchase.