25 March 2010

Paris: The Chairs
























The Jardin des Tuileries is one of my favorite places in Paris (if not the world) and home to a plethora of my favorite subject: chairs. Hundreds of green metal chairs are scattered throughout the garden that stretches from Place du Concorde to the Louvre.
























No matter where my wanderings took me during the day, I somehow always found myself back in Tuileries. I woke up early one morning to sketch and paint while the garden was deserted. My hands went numb in the cold, but I had the chairs all to myself. The next day was warmer and windy and crowded. In the late afternoon light the chairs cast long blue shadows. I was contented to sit and sketch.

























I was acutely aware of the light in Paris. I think I finally allowed myself to slow down; to absorb the blue shadows of green chairs in the afternoon or the ambers of evening in the city. I had forgotten how to pause. I cannot think of a better place to do so than amongst the endless green chairs of Jardin des Tuileries.

Afternoon Chair/shadow

sketchbook page 03.10.10
4.5 x 5"

copyright Kate Castelli 2010

No comments: